Finishing Touches, Applications and Possible Improvements
Finishing Touches :
To make the project presentable,tidy and to avoid the use of DC bench power supply we made use of a Switch Mode Power Supply unit (SMPS) that connects to AC Mains supply and provided us with 12 V DC.
Another benefit of SMPS is that we could draw enough amount of current to provide the Peltier Element.
We used 7805 Voltage Regulator to provide +5V supply to Arduino Board and LCD.
The capacitor values on input and output sides were obtained from the datasheet of 7805.
A. Cooling Operations in Consumer Products
The Peltier device can be used to create a portable Coolers and Refrigerators that are compact and have no circulating fluid or moving parts. Such devices are useful in applications where their advantages outweigh the disadvantage of their very low efficiency.
Peltier coolers can be used to cool computer components to keep temperatures within designed limits, or to maintain stable functioning when overclocking. A Peltier cooler with a heatsink can cool a chip to well below ambient temperature.
B. Applications in the process’es of Biomedical Research
Thermal cyclers (thermo-cycler, PCR machine or DNA amplifier) are used for temperature-sensitive reactions in laboratories like live cell imaging. Peltier elements allow a great temperature range, high temperature stability and precision in combination with precise TEC controllers.
Micro scale Thermophoresis is used to quantify bio molecular interactions, measuring the motion of molecules along temperature gradients. Peltier elements are used to keep the base plate at a constant temperature or stabilize the infrared-laser.
C. Fiber Optic Applications
In fiber optic applications, where the wavelength of a laser or a component is highly dependent on temperature, Peltier coolers are used along with a thermistor in a feedback loop to maintain a constant temperature and thereby stabilize the wavelength of the device.
D. Industrial Processes
Countless applications in industrial processes are facilitated using thermoelectric modules. Examples are metallurgy, semiconductor lithography and hardening / curing needs.
Possible Improvements :
- The project can be further improved by the use of a better temperature sensor that has a quick thermal response and faster sampling.
- Use of Kalman Filter to reduce the noise and inaccuracies in the temperature measured by the sensor.
- A better steady state response along with low overshoot and faster settling time can be achieved by using computer aided system modelling and PID tuning on softwares such as Simulink and Matlab.
- Use of Linear Quadratic Regulator (LQR) Control .
- Thermal Calculations for choosing proper heat sinks and fans, thus improving the efficiency of the setup.